Tuesday 5 December 2006

Harry Potter and The South West Train Journey

I fell into a deep sleep this morning on the train.

I have 58 minutes to get comfortable, warm, and dozy and then fall into a beautiful slumber. I generally fall asleep about 20 minutes into the journey. I do my best not to. Honest. I don’t think it looks professional to turn up to work with bleary red eyes and, just maybe, a smear of dribble on my chin. But sometimes, no, in reality mostly, I just cannot resist that tender rocking of the train as I snuggle into my thick, warm winter coat.

I find it also depends on the book I’m reading as to how long it takes for me drift away into DreamLand.


I am presently reading Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince. I used to be a huge Harry Potter fan almost three years ago. I was one of those who got into it late and then manically read the first four books in one week. I then waited eagerly for Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix to be released. When it did, I read it whilst sunning myself on a beach as I was working in South West France at the time. Life was first-rate! In fact, I didn’t pay all that much attention to the book. I just kept being sidetracked by that damn beautiful sea. And there was the end of my Harry Obsession.

Before that, I once had a birthday party to celebrate my 22nd year with a Harry Potter themed bash. It was wonderful. I bought the soundtrack. I bought the piano score. For the party I invented an odd Sorting Hat game. I read the books in French while living in French Canada (hey, it was an excellent language exercise!) and then in English (again).

But the fifth book was long, dark, and too adult-like! So I only read it once (!) and somewhat instantly forgot the plot. Apart from remembering who died.

So now I’m onto the sixth book. I have to say I am enjoying it immensely after a three year break from all Harry Potter books. Although I struggle to remember the intricate plot details from Book 5.

In any case, Harry Potter 6 is one of those books that should, in theory, prolong my falling asleep on the train. Purportedly I am too engrossed in the book to think about feeling tired and warm. Although that didn’t work this morning.

J.K Rowling, you need to work on this!

1 comment:

alisonwonderland said...

my then 9-year-old daughter got me into the harry potter books back when there were only two - and i've anxiously awaited each addition. i'm also anxiously awaiting this summer's film version of The Order of the Phoenix!

i found your blog through your comment on "Blog of Note" The View from Here.